What does the Wheelchair service do?
Our aim is to provide high quality specialist assessment and provision for wheelchairs, postural mobility seating and pressure care to children and young people with mobility difficulties across the Warrington area.
This service is delivered by a specialist team of staff with skills in a wide range of clinical areas.
Staff work closely with the entire children’s workforce in private and voluntary sector, preschool, mainstream and specialist education provision and health to enhance children’s mobility needs.
The Wheelchair service will offer:
- Specialist assessment
- Advice and Intervention on the basis of assessment of clinical need.
- An individual management plan developed and agreed with the young person, parents and carers as appropriate.
- Evaluation of outcomes and future plans.
Positive impact of the service
The service has a positive impact on a child’s access to their home environment, education and the wider community
As a team we adhere to the organisational values of Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
We provide a patient centered service by focusing on the child / young person and the team around the family looking to make a positive difference to their lives.
We constantly strive to evaluate our service and look for new, more effective and innovative ways of working.
We value all forms of communication and aim to communicate in an open and honest way that enables an atmosphere of trust and respect throughout.
We offer a professional quality service, following local and national professional guidelines with a comprehensive management structure, support and training packages that ensure best evidence-based practice.
We are locally-led and flexible about the settings of our intervention to best meet the needs of the child and family.
We are efficient and use our resources wisely to ensure quality care and value for money.
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?
The team is based at:
226 Europa Boulevard
The service covers the whole of the Warrington area.
Services are offered in clinics at the Wheelchair service at Europa Boulevard, child’s home and education settings when appropriate, to ensure children are assessed in an environment best suited to individual needs.
What does the Wheelchair Service provide?
What families can expect:
- Expert assessment of their child’s mobility and postural clinical needs
- To be fully involved in the assessment process, plan of equipment needs and treatment plan.
- That the plan will contain clear measurable goals and expected outcomes
- That the goals will link to mobility needs.
- That wheelchair staff will contribute to Education, Health and Care plans and reviews for children and young people with additional needs where required
- Families can expect signposting to other agencies and services where appropriate and when families consent to this beneficial support
- That wheelchair service advise and provide support for wheelchair equipment where relevant and clinically appropriate
That where relevant, goals and management plans are provided jointly in order to work in a holistic and meaningful way with families.
Working with other professionals involved with the child
Evidence shows that the best results are achieved when we work with those involved in the care of the child and young person.
This enables those around him / her to promote mobility skills to their full potential in a variety of meaningful environments.
For us this means working within a variety of settings and with a variety of other people including parents and professionals.
We aim to form a partnership with families and professionals to meet the child’s clinical mobility needs.
We work with others, including parents, partners from the Local Authority and private and voluntary sector as they, as well as families, are ideally placed to support and encourage the child to use their mobility equipment effectively.
We have close working relationships with our partners in health and work in an integrated way with joint goals and management, including: