Professionals Information

  Home   All about us  Children’s   Students  Professionals  Resources

Our Speech and Language Therapists work in:

  • Clinic
  • In mainstream and special schools
  • Child Development Centre (CDC)

The Clinic Team

We have clinics in different locations around Warrington which Parents can choose between.

The Schools Team

Our speech therapists work closely with school staff and provide advice and activities to be carried out in school.  We work in mainstream and special schools in Warrington.

The Child Development Centre (CDC)

The CDC team provides a specialist co-ordinated approach to the assessment and management of pre-school children, where there are concerns about their development.  Our aim is to support the children and their families at the CDC and in the community.

Who can I refer?

Children from 0-16 years (0-19 years if attending special schools) who demonstrate difficulties in the following areas:

  • Understanding of language
  • Spoken language
  • Speech sounds
  • Stammering
  • Voice problems
  • Attention and listening difficulties
  • Social communication difficulties
  • Babies with feeding and swallowing difficulties
  • Hearing impairment

Any difficulty with communication can impact on social interaction and academic development.

Many of these children will not naturally grow out of their difficulties without some level of Speech and Language Therapy intervention ranging from:

  1. Advice and coaching to parents/carers, nurseries or school
  2. Detailed assessment
  3. A programme of therapy.

Therapy involves closely working with Parents, Health Visitors, Schools and many others.

Speech and Language Therapists work primarily with children to assist their communication, language and speech development. Some therapists have specialised training to assist children with eating and drinking skills.

This may be because:

  • They have a problem with their swallowing (dysphagia)
  • They are over-sensitive to food / touch in and around their mouths
  • They need help to learn to eat and drink independently

How to refer:

Referrals are accepted from any professional. Please obtain parent / carer permission first and enclose a signed consent form:

What happens after referral?

Once a child has been referred their Parents/Carer will be sent a letter asking them to contact the department.

Parents/Carers must reply to this letter so that they can book an appointment. 

They will be offered an appointment at a choice of clinics within Warrington.  Initial assessment will take place in clinic and the Therapist may use informal or formal assessments using toys, pictures, etc.

A decision will then be made on ways in which the child can be helped.  Advice and strategies will be provided to Parents/Carers.

In order to offer integrated, high quality services for children, all of our Children’s Services work closely with preschools, nurseries and schools.    We share information about the outcomes of assessments and the strategies recommended in order that preschools, nurseries and schools implement the same strategies on a daily basis. We also inform preschools, nurseries and schools when a parent does not opt in / attend an appointment.  This will greatly help your child, but it you do not wish information to be shared you may withdraw your consent at any time.  

You are here