Description of service of the Enhanced Care Home Support service
The Enhanced Care Home Support Service is a service which provides dedicated support, advice, training and education to all nursing and residential care homes located within the Warrington Boundaries, ensuring quality, equity and appropriateness of care.
There is a Triage service provided by the Care Home Helpline, ensuring the patient is assessed by the most appropriate member of the team or the patients’ own GP practice if required. They provide a comprehensive health needs assessment for all patients with a skill mix of Nurses, GP’s and Pharmacists, the team is also supported by Clinical Nurse Educators.
The service is delivered in partnership with primary care, secondary care, the local mental health trust, North West Ambulance Service, local provider services and local government services. The remit of the service includes the following:
- Proactive and Reactive assessments
- End of Life Care i.e. advanced care planning, preferred priorities of care
- Rapid discharge home to die – preferred place of death
- Early Supported Discharge from hospital
- Social and personal support
- Education relating to end of life care and locally developed pathways
- Following the Falls integrated pathway
- Reducing inappropriate GP visits, reducing A&E attendances and Emergency admissions
- Undertaking Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings monthly within the care homes with the designated GP, care home staff and family members / other health professionals as appropriate.
Patients who can access the service:
- Any person over the age of 18, who is registered with a GP in Warrington and lives in either a nursing or residential home within the Warrington Boundaries
- Initial proactive baseline assessments and reviews on all care home residents
- Any patient with an acute presentation of a health problem
- Any patient who has been diagnosed with a life limiting condition
- The service is targeted at people who could potentially be admitted to secondary care inappropriately due to a lack of education and knowledge.
Patients who can not access the service:
- Any person not having a Warrington GP or not resident in a Warrington care home
- Any patient not willing to consent to treatment
All service users are treated equally regardless of age, culture, disability or gender sensitive issues.
The Enhanced Care Home Support Service is dependent upon links between the nursing homes, residential homes, Social Services, local GP’s, Warrington and Halton Hospital Foundation Trust (WHHFT) and Community Healthcare Services.
Referrals are via the Care Home Helpline on 01925 867737 from all care homes, WHHFT, 5 Boroughs Partnership and Social Services