Out and about in Warrington – Where can I breastfeed?
You are protected (by law) in public places such as parks, sports and leisure facilities, public buildings and when using public transport such as buses, trains and planes. You are protected in shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels regardless of how big or small. You are also protected in places like hospitals, theatres, cinemas and petrol stations.
We know how hard it can be to find suitable places to breastfeed your baby in public, and we want to make that easier for families in Warrington. Initially we’ll be targeting cafes and playcentres, and will expand the scheme as time goes on.
To join the scheme, venues will sign our Breastfeeding Friendly Commitments:
- We will welcome breastfeeding in any public part of our premises
- We will train our staff to make breastfeeding families feel welcome
- We will display stickers and / or posters to show we belong to the scheme
- We will provide appropriate seating to breastfeeding mums (when available)
- We will seat breastfeeding mums in a discrete area (when available and requested by mum)
The Equality Act 2010 entitles a mother to breastfeed anywhere in public places without the fear of being moved on or asked to feed her baby in an inappropriate place.
An except from the act is included below to assist you:
- A Business/Premise cannot discriminate against mothers who are breastfeeding a child of any age.
- The Equality Act 2010 has specifically clarified that it is unlawful for a business/premise to discriminate against a woman because she is breastfeeding a child.
- Do make sure women you are providing services to are allowed to breastfeed on your premises if they want to
- Do also ensure that mothers breastfeeding babies are not discriminated against, no matter how old the baby is
- Do train all employees especially those who deal with the public, to be aware of the protection from discrimination given to breastfeeding mothers under the Equality Act 2010.
- Don’t forget under the Equality Act 2010, discrimination against someone because they are with a breastfeeding mother is also prohibited, so companions of breastfeeding mothers who are also treated unfairly may have a claim, too.
- If a member of the public e.g. another customer complains about a mother breastfeeding this person should be relocated and not the mother.
View our interactive map of Breastfeeding Friendly Places in Warrington below: