Child Protection and Safeguarding – St Helens

Child Protection and Safeguarding

Description of service

What is ‘Safeguarding children’?

Safeguarding children is defined as:

  • Protecting children from maltreatment.
  • Preventing impairment of child’s health and development.
  • Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.
  • Enabling children to have optimum life chances and to enter adulthood successfully.

Child Protection is part of safeguarding and promoting welfare and refers to the activity which is undertaken to protect children who are suffering or are likely to suffer significant harm

The definition of a ‘child’ is anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday.

Are you a child concerned about yourself or a friend?

Child abuse is not OK.

All children have the right to live free from abuse and neglect.

If you are concerned and you want to talk to someone about yourself or a friend please use one of the contacts below or speak to a trusted adult such as a parent, teacher or school nurse.

Useful Contacts:

  • Childline 0800 1111 –  get information and advice about a wide range of issues, talk to a counsellor online, send Childline an email or post on the message boards 
  • NSPCC 0808 8005 000
  • Children’s Social Care 01744 676 600
  • Police 0161 872 5050 or 101 or 999 in an emergency

Are you a member of the public concerned about a child’s safety or welfare?

Useful Contacts:

  •  Police 101 or 999 in an emergency
  • NSPCC 0808 8005 000
  • Children’s Social Care 01744 676 600

Are you a healthcare professional concerned about a child?

If you are a professional and come into contact with children as part of your work, or as a volunteer, you have a statutory duty and responsibility to safeguard children and therefore report any allegations or concerns about the welfare and safety of a child.


  • Protecting children is everybody’s business
  • Adults have a responsibility to report abuse
  • Consider offering some support if you are worried
  • If in doubt share your concerns about children
  • Reporting concerns rarely leads to a child being removed
  • Act now – long term abuse is damaging for children

If you believe that a child or young person is at immediate risk, this should be reported without delay to the police service as a 999 emergency. Everyone has a responsibility for safeguarding children, not just professionals. If you have concerns that a child needs a service, or needs help and support in some way, there are people who can help.

St Helens Local Offer website

St Helens SEND

St Helens Special Education Needs and Disabilties (SEND) website.

Useful websites

St Helens Safeguarding Children Board

Children’s Social Care 01744 676 600

You are here