Description of service
The aim of the IV therapy service is to provide high quality; evidence based intravenous therapy nursing to patients in a community setting. The service aims to be comprehensive, flexible and easily accessible offering a wide range of medication for a variety of conditions.
Who can access the service?
- The patient must live within the boroughs of Halton, St Helens & Knowsley. Other circumstances will be reviewed on individual basis
- The patient must have a definite diagnosis and an accountable clinician to take clinical responsibility
- The patient must be medically stable or no longer require in-patient care
- The first dose of any treatment may be administered in the community providing the patient has not had a previous anaphylactic reaction
- Patients with a history of drug/substance misuse will be considered for the service on an individual basis.
- The patient will need to be aware of the implications surrounding intravenous therapy at home.
- The patient needs to give verbal consent prior to discharge home (if they are an in patient), or to the referring clinician
All referrals will be reviewed and assessed on an individual basis. A final decision will be made by the Community IV Team as to whether or not a patient can be accepted onto the service.
How can people access the service?
All referrals to the service need to be made by a hospital doctor, general practitioner or other health care professional. The referring clinician maintains clinical responsibility for the patient for the planned course of treatment duration. It is the responsibility of the referring clinician to provide all medication, diluents and flushes for the duration of the course. All medication must be dispensed in accordance with the Medicines Act 1968.
There is no option to self refer to the service.
Where is the service offered?
The majority of our patients are treated within their own home. However on some occasions it may be necessary to treat patients in a community hospital or clinic.
Our Service Promise
Intravenous Therapy Service
Irwin Rd Clinic
Tel: 01744 626702
Textphone Number 18001 01744 626702
Fax: 01744 605951
District/Community Nursing Team contact numbers:
Out of hours Service St Helens
Telephone: 01744 673801
Textphone: 18001 01744 673801
Fax: 01744 457356
Out of hours Service Halton
Telephone: 0151 495 5019
Textphone: 18001 0151 495 5019
Fax: Widnes 0151 495 5199 / Runcorn 01928 795157