Description of the Heart Failure Nurse service
This is a specialist nurse led team based in primary care providing an integrated effective and accessible service to address the health needs and maximise the health and well being of heart failure patients resident in Halton.
The service offers:
- Advice and support to heart failure patients relatives and carers
- Monitoring of the patients condition and onward referral where necessary
- Review of medications
The ongoing management and support of heart failure patients is a joint responsibility across primary and secondary care. With care crossing organisational boundaries for the benefit of patients, families and carers.
Patients are encouraged to take an active role in their long term care.
Heart failure services aim to reduce the need for patients to be admitted to hospital and reduce the length of stay in hospital by proactively monitoring and managing patients in line with national guidance.
Who can access the Heart Failure Nurse service?
Any adult patient, registered with a Halton GP, who have a confirmed diagnosis of heart failure.
- Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction
- Diastolic Heart Failure (preserved ejection fraction)
- Valvular heart failure, including right sided if no evidence of respiratory disease
How can people access the service?
Referral by health care professional.
- General Practitioners
- Practice Nurses
- Secondary and primary care specialist Nurses
- Community Matrons
- District Nurses
- Consultant Cardiologists/Physicians
- Palliative Care Clinicians
Where is the service offered?
The service is offered in a variety of settings depending on clinical need including:
- Community based clinics based in GP practices
- Telephone support
- Home visits
Halton Heart Failure Nurse Service
Mill Brow Clinic
Telephone: 0151 495 5264
Textphone: 18001 0151 495 5264
Fax: 0151 495 5220