Description of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Service
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Team consists of:
- Cardiac Specialist Nurses
- Cardiac Physiotherapist
- Exercise instructor (BACPR qualified)
We are based in the community and help people recover from various heart conditions, including:
- heart attacks
- heart surgery
- heart failure
We provide cardiac nurse-led clinics, physiotherapist clinics, home visits, cardiac rehabilitation, heart failure rehab and this includes Tai Chi sessions.
Our patients are usually in the early discharge phase.
The service offers:
- Holistic individual assessment of physical, psychological and social needs for cardiac rehabilitation.
- Education advice and support on lifestyle and risk factor modification e.g physical activity, diet, alcohol and smoking cessation
- Effective evidence based medication recommendation in line with national and local guidance, education about its use.
- A programme of structured and clinically led exercise sessions
- A programme of structured education and advice
- Referral on to specialist services
- Risk stratification
- Stress management
The ongoing management and support of cardiac patients is a joint responsibility across primary and secondary care. With care crossing organisational boundaries for the benefit of patients, families and carers.
Patients are encouraged to take an active role in their long term care.
The aim is to reduce the likelihood of a further cardiac event or hospitalisation and to improve quality of life.
Who can access the service?
Adults registered with a St Helens GP, with a confirmed diagnosis:
- Following myocardial infarction
- Following revascularisation procedures (CABG and angioplasty)
- Heart failure
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Valve repair/replacements
- Angina patients
- Other specialist interventions such as cardiac resynchronisation therapy, CRT and ICD
How can people access the service?
Referral by health care professional.
- General Practitioners
- Practice Nurses
- Secondary and primary care specialist Nurses
- Community Matrons
- District Nurses
- Consultant Cardiologists/Physicians
Where is the service offered?
The service is offered in a variety of settings depending on clinical need including:
- Nurse led community clinics at Billinge Clinic, Fingerpost Health Centre, Newton Community Hospital and Rainhill Clinic
- Telephone support
- Home visits
Rehabilitation programmes are offered in:
- Fingerpost Health Centre
- Newton Community Hospital
St Helens Cardiac Rehabilitation Service
Finger Post Health Centre
Telephone: 01744 457285
Textphone: 18001 01744 457285
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays)