Wigan Borough Health Outreach and Inclusion Service – Information

 About the
Information   Information for

How to register with GP

Search the NHS Choices website or ring 01942 482711 to find the nearest GP.

Collect registration forms, fill them in and an appointment will be made to register .

You will need to show proof of address and some form of ID.

You may be entitled to help with NHS costs. Further information is available at NHS Choices Website, NHS in England – Help with health costs.

How to register with a Dentist

Search NHS Choices website or ring 01942 482711 to find the nearest Dentist.

Collect and fill out medical history form and an appointment will be made.

You may be entitled to help with NHS costs. Further information is available at NHS Choices Website, NHS in England – Help with health costs.

Common health issues

We can help you access health services if you are experiencing any health issues, including the following:

  • Hypertension
  • Dental Health
  • Post-traumatic stress
  • Mental health issues
  • Antenatal care
  • Skin conditions
  • Respiratory disorders
  • GI symptoms
  • Allergies
  • Heart disease
  • Musculoskeletal problems
  • Learning disability
  • Physical disability
  • Parasitical infections
  • Child health problems
  • Ophthalmology issues
  • Ear, nose and throat
  • Cancers
  • Gynaecological
  • Podiatry
  • GU problems male/female

Sexual health for female and male sex workersSexual Health

It is important to look after your sexual health. There are dedicated sexual health services across Wigan.

These are free and confidential, and separate from your medical records. You need to register to use the service, but don’t have to give your real details if you don’t want to.

You can access the service confidentially, even if you are under 16, however if the nurse or doctor is concerned about yours or someone else’s safety, they might have to tell someone.

Visit our dedicated page for Sexual health for female and male sex workers in the Wigan Borough.


Contraception is important to protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy.

Contraception, including condoms, is free on the NHS and can be accessed from your GP, or a specialist sexual health clinic, there are more than 14 methods of contraception available, including long acting methods which can last from 3 months to 10 years, depending on which n you choose.

If you have unprotected sex, or the condom breaks, you can access emergency contraception up to 72 hours (sometimes longer) after unprotected sex, it is more effective the sooner you take it.

For more information on contraception, contact Wigan sexual health services, or visit NHS choices http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/contraception.aspx.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases – STIs

Sexually Transmitted infections (STIs) are infections that can be caught through having unprotected sex with someone who is infected.

Some infections, such as chlamydia, have no symptoms, so it is important to get tested regularly even if you aren’t experiencing any problems.

The only way to protect yourself from STIs is to use a condom, or barrier method such as a dental dam, including for oral sex.

Everyone who is sexually active is at risk of STIs, however if you have more partners, or are a sex worker, your risk is higher.

It is important that you take precautions, and visit a sexual health clinic regularly. It is important to be honest with the nurse or health advisor, as they can make sure you get all the appropriate tests and advice.

Hepatitis B vaccinations

Hepatitis B is an infection spread through sexual contact, and blood. It is possible to vaccinate against this infection with a course of three injections.

We recommend you get this vaccination if you are a sex worker or have sex with sex workers, a man who has sex with other men, somebody who injects drugs or who has sex with someone who does, or if you have sex with someone who is from a country where the rates of hepatitis b are higher.

You can get vaccinated at Wigan sexual health services.

Post Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV following sexual exposure – HIV medication

PEP is medication that can be given if you are HIV negative and have had sexual contact or exposure with someone who is HIV positive.

It is a 28 day course of medication and needs to be commenced as soon as possible after you have been exposed. Guidelines suggest  must be  within 72hrs of exposure.

For more information, contact Wigan sexual health services, or visit the NHS Choices website.

How to complain about a health service

If you feel you have been unfairly treated by a health service in Wigan, or wish to make a complaint, you can contact the NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) provided by the Carers Federation at wiganica@carersfederation.co.uk.

You can also contact Healthwatch Wigan if you have had a good, or bad experience with a healthcare provider.

You are here