Description of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / ME Service
The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis service provides specialist assessment, treatment, advice and support for adults who have a diagnosis of CFS/ME.
Who can access the service?
Adults aged 18 years and over, 17 years if no longer in full time education or those aged 16 years that are considered by all agencies involved in their care to be better placed with adult services.
The service is for residents who are registered with a GP in Wigan Borough.
By GP or Consultant following the exclusion of potential causes for presenting symptoms.
Patients previously known to the service can self-refer within 12 months of discharge.
The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / ME Service:
- Adheres to the NICE Guideline (53) for CFS/ME
- Recognises and promotes the importance of early diagnosis and intervention
- Provides a Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine led Assessment
- Provides intervention on a 1:1 and or group basis
- Assessment and Intervention takes place in our clinic setting or via home visit dependent on identified need.
- Medical Management
- Activity Management/Pacing
- Graded Exercise Therapy
- Stress and Lifestyle Management incorporating Cognitive Behavioural Strategies
- Assessment, Advice and onward referral for aids and adaptations.
- Support and advice to carers, relatives and other health professionals.
Our interventions and approaches are aimed at helping the person concerned engage in education about the condition, understanding and accepting it and implementing strategies to best manage symptoms which predominantly involves the following:
- Managing energy more effectively by learning how to pace and grade all daily activities including the Cognitive, Emotional, Social and Physical demands of the same
- Learning to punctuate the day with qualitative rest
- Learning to communicate with oneself and others in a way that does not result in pushing beyond available energy levels
- Advice about disturbed sleep
- Dietary considerations
- Environmental assessment where identified as a need
- Pharmacological intervention where identified
- Engaging in graded exercise
- Support to return to the workplace and or education
- Support and advice to carers and other agencies including other health professionals
- Relapse management
- Onward referrals to other agencies where identified as a need.
The Team adopts various approaches in the delivery of the above which predominantly involves the use of:
- Activity analysis
- Cognitive Behavioural Strategies
- Person centred counselling skills
- Facilitation of normal movement and the use of compensatory strategies where identified.
The team values the views of clients regarding service provision and development.
Chronic Fatigue/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Service
Telephone: 01942 483680
Fax : 01942 483679
Please note: do not put personal information details in your email such as your NHS number, date of birth or address.